many Historic Monuments have a "surveyor of the fabric" or a surveyors
department. The Historic Royal Palaces has a Department that deals with the
maintenance of the Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace, Kensington Palace
and the Banquetting Hall. Most Cathedrals have surveyors too, I expect they
have simmilar in English Heritage. It is not quite field archaeology but it
is a -sort of - related discipline. You might want to contact HRPA or your
local Cathedral for advice.