I have loosely followed the discussion on the RECMGMT-L list regarding
permanent records and have been hoping that this topic would be no more than
a passing interest. I have not been that lucky!

I have been asked to draw up a retention schedule for the part of our
company that manages trust funds for individuals. I have got to grips with
most of the detail but there are still bugbears that I would like to try and
clarify or even just make less vague.

I understand the Trust Deeds should be retained "permanently" but again this
raises the issue of "how long is permanent". I appreciate that this could
mean the life of the company, but the company I work for is already 250
years old. Whilst we do not have any "live" records this old we certainly
have a few items in excess of 100 years old. I am considering implementing a
retention that states something along the following lines "Retain for 50
years post client then review". Does this seem reasonable? Should I still
make sure that the trust deeds and associated documents are scanned before
destruction? I could then at least go for a "best evidence" scenario should
it all go horribly wrong.

This also leads on to the question of trust account correspondence. This I
believe should just be a case of retaining "12 years post client" as this
covers the Limitation Act.

I have no formal training in this arena so I guess all I'm looking for is
just someone to turn round and say "sounds reasonable" or even "what on
earth are you going on about"! Either way I would really appreciate hearing
everyone's opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Everett

This transmission has been issued by a member of Baring Asset Management(&quot;BAM&quot;)
for the information of the addressee only. It may contain information that is confidential
and/or privileged and should not be reproduced and/or distributed to any other person
without the consent of BAM. Any document attached hereto must be read in conjunction
with any disclaimer which forms part of it and you are advised to read the additional
notifications which can be accessed from the URL below. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system. E-mails are
susceptible to data corruption, interception, falsification, delay, unauthorised
amendment and viruses. BAM does not accept liability for any such events or any
consequences thereof in respect of e-mails sent, or received, by us and whilst we have
taken every reasonable precaution to ensure that any attachment to this e-mail has
been swept for viruses, we cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage
sustained as a result of software viruses and would advise that you carry out your own
virus checks before opening any attachment. In circumstances where the content of this
transmission is important you should not rely on its integrity without verifying it by
telephone or facsimile. Any communications transmitted by telephone, facsimile and
e-mail to, or by, you may be accessed, recorded, monitored and/or made available to BAM