Douglas,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 05:41:32PM +1200, Douglas Campbell wrote:
> > The nitty-gritty of Usage-Board-specific terms need not concern
> > this list.  However, it would be very helpful to hear arguments
> > for or against declaring Usage-Board-specific terms (such as
> > the above) as opposed to using existing terms from DC or RDF
> > (as Harry advocates) -- even in cases where existing terms
> > may be defined quite broadly or generically.
>
> I agree with Roland that the nitty-gritty IS relevant to the entire
> DC community - anything "endorsed" by the DCMI will become a
> model that others will copy.
>
> Ideally any dcu namespace terms would be defined "genericly"
> enough that others could re-use them for their local applications.

Yes, I completely agree that dcu should be re-usable for
local applications as well.

Wordsmithing the definitions of terms used for term
declarations (what I was thinking of as "nitty-gritty")
seems like a Usage Board issue.

However, questions related to the design of the RDF schema
-- e.g., whether it is better practice to declare those
terms in a dcu: namespace or to use existing generic terms,
"off-the-shelf", in a specifically Usage-Board way; or whether
or not to use scheme classes -- certainly are, as you say,
issues for the Architecture list.

> I am currently looking at defining Application Profiles in machine-readable
> format (rather than Word Processing documents!) [1], so if the UB
> comes up with a good set of elements I'd definitely use them.
> (I haven't had a chance to look through your strawman yet.)

The proposal would at any rate need to be vetted by the
community as a whole before being used to replace the current
model.

The bottleneck here is that it would take considerable work
to track issues and manage discussion on an open list, and I
can't really take on that additional task in the next two or
three months.  Potential volunteers should drop me a line...?

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                [log in to unmask]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129