From: Robert Kraft <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] TAN Nigeria scam (was "never mind")

I've collected these "Nigeria Scam" messages for the past several years, and
have a huge file. Don't ask; I'm a collector; it's in the blood. Recently
some
of them have been explicitly Islamic rather than Christian. I've even used
them
pedagogically -- I gave three similar ones to my classes and asked them to
look
for clues as to which may have adapted which, which is most recent, etc. It
was
a good exercise, not quite as intense as William James examining the fish
for
his mentor Aggasiz (do I have that right?). One "give away" was the letter
that
began Islamicly, progressed to a Jewish bible reference attributed to "the
Allah," and ended with the "Yours in Christ" salutation. The students were
able
to see those footprints, especially when compared with basically the same
letter
in fully Christianized, more "original" form.

Anyhow, if anyone wants the mega-file of these materials, for similar
assignments or whatever, I'll be happy to supply it. Don't you love the name
on
the one below, Grimhelm Wormtongue? Oi! And they're all so personal!

Bob

> From: jeffery <[log in to unmask]>
> > Never mind, I found it. I'm getting so many messages these days from
good
> Christians
> > in Africa who've stolen millions from their countries and want to split
it
> with me
> > that I sometimes miss the messages I'm actually interested in.
>
> You may have seen this...
>
> From: Grimhelm Wormtongue
> Date: Heven 25 Afteryule 1592 10:55:51
>
> DUNLAND
>
> Dear sir and/or madame,
>
> Salutations, I am GRIMHELM WORMTONGUE, The son of late Counsellor Gríma
> Wormtongue of the Kingdom of Rohan.

[body deleted]

> MR, GRIMHELM WORMTONGUE.

to: [log in to unmask]