Sorry, I sent my e-mail before finishing what I was going to type. Ignore the
previous version.

In a message dated 18/2/2003 18:45:54, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< But even before the liturgical reforms of the last 30 years, some priests

were regularly omitting the phrase "militant here in earth" even when using

the rest of the prayer. >>

The phrase "militant here in earth" was added in the 1552 Prayer Book, not
having been present in 1549. Its inclusion reflects the change to a more
protestant theology between the two books, which meant that prayer for the
dead was no longer acceptable in 1552 (and is accordingly omitted from the
text of the prayer.)  A modified form of prayer for the dead was restored in
1662, but the introduction was not changed. I expect that clergy who omit the
phrase "militant here in earth" do so because they perceive an inconsistency
between the introduction and the text, or because they would like to see a
much stronger form of prayer for the dead included in Anglican liturgy.

Graham Gould

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]