Following the exchange of emails we had a few days ago on this subject I have
received this email from Peter Andrews. With his permission I am forwarding it
to the list as it may be of general interest.
Cheers,
Umberto

Dear Umberto and Melanie
Your emails have been forwarded to me by Poly Baker. The site of Longstone
Edge is currently being written up for publication, coordinated by Jonathan
Last
of English Heritage. I have just finished working on the small mammals and
was able to identify two species of owl as being responsible for large parts of
the small mammal assemblage. There is no indication of scavenging by any
land-based carnivore. Also it seems that the prevailing view is that what was
called the excarnation platform is just a normal land surface and the few human
bones found scattered on it are incidental to local earth movements.

The two owl species are short eared owl and eagle owl, identified on the
basis of patterns of digestion of the rodent remains. In addition of course
there
is a background scatter of mammals such as one finds in any soil, and these
were not predated. No difference was found between assemblages from the mound
deposits and the assemblages recovered from within the cist, and both seemed to
be similar to assemblages from the nearby fissure filling and the subsoil,
although I think this similarity is likely the result of later mixing from
earth
movements by earthworms.

Most of the fauna is dominated by Arvicola, but strangely enough it is these
that were the main prey of the short eared owl, with Microtus being only about
half as abundant in these samples. In contrast, the eagle owl assemblage,
which occurred in only one part of the site, had greater numbers of Microtus,
although Arvicola was still abundant. These are not typical prey assemblages of
either predator, but the patterns of digestion are pretty clear. I am doing
some follow-up work on the age distribution and adaptations of the Arvicola
sample to see if that sheds any light on why there are such great numbers of
water
vole in an upland environment (the short eared owl being essentially a
predator of upland open areas), for this seems to be a fairly common phenomenon
in
the past.

best wishes
Peter Andrews