I liked that poem, Dom.  This is not a new poem, but it's kind of
concerned with the same questions:

sometimes pain seems to be the truest thing there is
it sits behind your eyes like a shivering animal
whose vision is a foil wretched with reflections
even skins are razors luminous with unshed blood

and you understand anew the fragility of touch
how real and clumsy it is, a derailed train
where corpses burst and shudder and collide
discourteously, as the worm wakes in the brainpan

sniffing the stench of tears - pain is excess of course
and thus shrugged and deadened - there is no time
for its midnight pollen drifting through your veins
rooting and flowering into hallucinatory lymphomata

for shuttered lids and tongues tasting of metal for the
impotence of a half formed gesture which gutters out
and leaves a trail of rust inside the stilled hand
for the clarities which ripple in its silence

Best

--

Alison Croggon

Editor, Masthead