Dear list

Over the past few months, TASI has reviewed and revised its documentation
on file formats. We are very pleased to announce the release of three
up-dated Advice documents:

CHOOSING A FILE FORMAT
http://www.tasi.ac.uk/advice/creating/format.html
- factors to consider when choosing image formats for different purposes
(e.g. archiving, Web delivery, commercial printing)

FILE FORMATS AND COMPRESSION
http://www.tasi.ac.uk/advice/creating/fformat.html
- an introduction to the different types of image files (rasters, vectors
and metafiles) and to compression techniques

NEW DIGITAL IMAGE FILE FORMATS
http://www.tasi.ac.uk/advice/creating/newfile.html
- information on several of the newer image formats, including PNG and JPEG
2000

Complimenting these are a new spreadsheet listing and detailing file
formats, and an FAQ on wavelet compression. The spreadsheet can be found in
the TASI Toolbox alongside other useful charts and calculators
(http://www.tasi.ac.uk/resources/toolbox.html). It is a working document
which will be expanded and updated from time to time.

As always, we welcome any feedback about these and other TASI resources.

Grant

Grant Young, [log in to unmask]
Technical Research Officer
TASI - Technical Advisory Service for Images
Free help, advice and guidance for the
Further and Higher Education sector
http://www.tasi.ac.uk/
A JISC Service