short course: Crustal growth episodes in time and spac
Dear all,
I would like to draw your attention to the following short course:

International Quality Network Potsdam University (Germany)
Short Course: Crustal growth episodes in time and space - geological, geochemical and geophysical features and characteristics.
As part of the Curriculum of the Center for Graduate Studies of the DAAD (International Quality Network; IQN  http://www.uni-potsdam.de/u/iqn/ ) at the University of Potsdam we are running a short course of lectures and practicals on the theme: " Crustal growth episodes in time and space - geological, geochemical and geophysical features and characteristics". The course will take place in Potsdam, Germany, from 24-26 November 2003 (Monday to Wednesday). The course will be restricted to about 20 advanced level undergraduate students, post graduate students or researchers working in the fields of petrology, geodynamics and geochemistry. Places will be allocated on a first come-first served basis: if you are interested then apply immediately!

Speakers include:
Prof. Suzanne Mahlburg Kay  and Prof. Robert W. Kay (Cornell University)
Prof. Patrick O'Brien, Dr. Andreas Möller, Dr. Martin Timmerman (University of Potsdam)
Prof. Onno Oncken, Dr. Robert Trumbull (GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam)

The main subject areas will be:
Magmatic processes: geochemical evidence. Examples from S America, Namibia and Kola
Crustal growth stages: information from geochronological studies.
Plate tectonics: ancient and modern.
Recycling of crust: Aleutian example. Lower crust evolution as deduced from xenoliths
Rifting, Delamination, Collision: what are they and how can they be recognised?
Imaging young or active regions of crustal growth: geophysical aspects.
Implications and constraints on tectonic and magmatic processes from lithosphere-scale modelling.

Other themes and speakers are still in negotiation.

There is no course fee. However, participants must pay for their own travel and accommodation. We can give advice about affordable accommodation.

If you are interested in attending or require information then do not try to contact me as I will be away 4.9-13.10. Instead contact the department secretary Frau Roy (+49-331-977-5258, Fax.: +49-331-977-5060, [log in to unmask]) or Dr. Andreas Möller. (Tel.: +49-331-977-2483, Fax.: +49-331-977-5060,  [log in to unmask])

Please pass this message on to anyone you think may be interested.

Paddy O'Brien

Prof. Dr. Patrick J. O'Brien
Institut für Geowissenschaften, Universität Potsdam, Postfach 601553, D-14415 Potsdam
Germany
Tel: +49 (0)331 977 5238; email: [log in to unmask]