** no apologies for multiple postings **

Dear All,

We would like to draw your attention to the following VGP session at
the AGU-CGU Joint Assembly Meeting in Montreal, Canada, May 17-21,
2004.

V08:    Occurrence and Origins of Small-scale Isotopic Heterogeneities in
                Igneous Rocks

The isotope chemistry of igneous rocks contains a wealth of
information about the sources of their parent magmas, with material
inputs from mantle and/or crustal reservoirs. Even in the absence of
overt evidence of magma mixing, igneous rocks are commonly
heterogeneous in their isotopic chemistry, on a variety of scales
ranging from the microscopic to the regional. These heterogeneities
could potentially be inherited from the crustal or mantle protoliths,
be caused by mingling and mixing of magmas from different sources, or
perhaps be caused by little-understood mechanisms operating during
either partial melting of the protoliths or the crystallisation of
the magmas. We invite contributions from people working on the
extents and origins of isotopic variations on small scales (sub grain
scale to metre scale), because such variations probably hold
information critical to understanding the origins of the better
documented larger-scale variations. We are keen to have contributions
from those working on stable as well as radiogenic isotopes, those
who work using bulk sample analysis and both microdrilling and
particle beam analytical methods, and those using computer modelling
to understand the formation of such small-scale variations.

The abstract deadline is February 19, 2004 for electronic online
submissions.  Further information regarding the meeting, as well the
listing of other approved sessions can be found at
<http://www.agu.org/meetings/sm04/>http://www.agu.org/meetings/sm04/

We very much look forward to receiving contributions and hope to see
you in Montreal this Spring.

John Clemens
Kingston University
School of Earth Sciences & Geography Penrhyn Road
Kingston-upon-Thames, KT1 2EEGBR
+44 20 8547 7023

Mary Reid
Northern Arizona University