Apologies for cross posting.

HCI2004: Design for Life
http://www.hci2004.org

Late January sees the deadline for full papers and workshop proposals -
start planning now to join us in September in Leeds.

The 18th British Human-Computer Interaction Group Annual Conference is
taking place at Leeds Metropolitan University from 6-10 September 2004.
Our ambitious theme is Design for Life. See the links below for more
details.

Researchers, practitioners and educators from around the world will come
together at HCI2004 to set an uncompromising user-centred agenda. As
designers, evaluators and implementers of interactive systems, we hold
great responsibility: the systems we design can shape the lives of the
people who use them. Join us in sharing the best of research and
practice taking place in this important field.

January 23rd 2004 sees the deadline for longer papers detailing original
research and for proposals for tutorials and workshops that will explore
topical themes in depth before the main conference. All offer the
opportunity to look broadly at the ways that computer systems are
affecting people as they feed into a growing number of areas. They can
be aimed at a practitioner audience, to support the conference's
traditional Industry Day, or can take a more academic tone.

Design for Life has many facets. It is design for quality of life:
designing systems that are liberating, humane and enabling, and which
recognise the user's individuality, rather than constraining, mechanical
and dehumanising. It is design for real life: ensuring what we do makes
a difference in every day experience and is relevant to the person on
the street. It is design for all aspects of life: for work, for leisure,
for travel, for fun. It is design for community life: supporting
society, government, learning and health. It is design for the richness
of life, recognising that successful interaction is as much about
experience, emotion, satisfaction and creativity as it is about task,
productivity and effect. It is design for the whole life from childhood
to older adulthood. It is design for the diversity of life: for users
with diverse needs, from diverse cultures and with different
perspectives and priorities. Finally it is design for long life: not
focusing on passing phases and fads but on products that adapt to
changing needs and on approaches that can contribute to sustainable
developments. Some of these concerns are traditional ones for HCI;
others are new challenges that we must face.

What to do: Follow the links below for more information...
HCI2004: http://www.hci2004.org
Important dates: http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2004/sub-dates.asp
Submission guidance: http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2004/sub-process.asp
Committee: http://www.bcs-hci.org.uk/hci2004/contact.asp