                              Hypertext 2004

           Fifteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia
              August 9-13, 2004 : Santa Cruz, California USA
                           http://www.ht04.org/

                           Call for Submissions

  The Fifteenth International ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia
  will be held in Santa Cruz, California, August 9-13, 2004.

  The ACM Hypertext Conference is the foremost international conference
  on hypertext and hypermedia. It brings together scholars, researchers
  and practitioners from a diverse array of disciplines, united by a
  shared interest in innovative textual and multimedia information
  spaces - with emphasis on augmenting human capabilities via linking,
  structure, authoring, annotation and interaction.

  This year, in addition to the established conference themes, the
  conference is actively soliciting submissions at the intersections
  of hypermedia and Digital Libraries, Software Engineering and the
  Humanities. We welcome submissions on the representation, design,
  structuring, visualizing, navigating, and exploiting of the rich
  network of relationships found in these domains.

  Spatial hypertext (structuring information via visual cues and
  geometric arrangement) and ubiquitous hypermedia (in situ authoring
  and navigating relationships among real world objects) have recently
  emerged as significant research directions. They join our established
  themes of adaptive hypermedia, literary hypertext and systems and
  structures. This latter topic knits together the research themes
  of open hypermedia, structural computing, design and reflection.

  In a bold experiment, for the first time we will be accepting
  hypertext submissions of research results. We are keenly interested
  in how judicious use of nonlinear narrative and rich linking can
  enhance communication of research ideas. We encourage you to consider
  submitting your paper as a hypertext. Please see the Web site for
  further details about hypertext submission.

  We will also be operating a rolling review process. Papers and
  hypertexts received before the early submission deadline will receive
  reviewers' feedback at least a week before the final submission
  deadline, facilitating revised submissions where appropriate.

Key dates

  Early submission deadline: February 4, 2004
  Full papers & hypertexts:  March 12, 2004
  Workshop proposals:        December 19, 2003
  Short papers:              May 28, 2004
  Poster & demo abstracts:   June 11, 2004

Program Themes

  This year we have organised the call around a number of themes. We
  welcome papers about all aspects of hypertext and hypermedia, even
  if not closely fitting one of these themes.

Digital Libraries

  Chair John Leggett, Texas A&M University
  Vice Chair David Hicks, Aalborg University Esbjerg

  Information structuring plays a fundamental role in the broad range of
  research areas encompassed by the digital library field. The diverse
  collection of media that digital libraries contain, along with the
  variety of ways in which users interact with those resources, require
  flexible, dynamic, and adaptable structuring techniques. We seek
  contributions that explore the ways in which the rich variety of
  structuring facilities represented by hypermedia technology can be
  used to address the challenging tasks faced in the digital libraries
  field.

Software Engineering

  Chair Walt Scacchi, University of California, Irvine
  Vice Chair Ken Anderson, University of Colorado, Boulder

  Software projects produce a diverse set of highly interrelated
  artifacts including requirements, architectures, designs, source code,
  test cases, and build scripts. We are interested in research that
  explicitly leverage these relationships through hypertext mechanisms
  or capabilities, including but not limited to contributions in
  Web-based open source software development, software development
  environments, CASE tools, consistency checking, software configuration
  management, build management, release management, literate
  programming, intelligent editors, and documentation support systems.

Hypertext in the Humanities

  Chair Christiane Fellbaum, Princeton University
  Vice Chair Stuart Moulthrop, University of Baltimore

  Theoretical and applied work in areas like computational linguistics,
  natural language processing, lexical semantics, cognitive psychology,
  computer-mediated communication, and electronic publishing have
  explored the advantages of coding, storing, and accessing lexical
  and conceptual knowledge in multi-dimensional formats. We encourage
  submissions in these and related areas that show how multi-dimensional
  structure has been used to describe, represent, and explain different
  types of information.

Adaptive and Adaptable Hypermedia

  Chair mc schraefel, University of Southampton

  Individuals are, well, individual. In many scenarios, one text, one
  set of relationships, does not fit all readers. We seek contributions
  in all areas of this research theme, encompassing systems,
  methodologies, and user models for the adaptation, filtering and
  personalization of relationship-rich information spaces. Additional
  emphases include interaction design for adaptable or adaptive systems,
  adaptive and intelligent learning environments, recommender systems,
  reflective user models, and agent-based adaptation, as well as
  rigorous evaluation of such systems.

Literary Hypertext

  Chair Jim Rosenberg

  Viewed broadly, hypertext permits a wide range of experimentation in
  literary works on non-linearity, multiple authorial viewpoints, and
  rhetorical structure, as well as radical entanglements of words and
  meaning. Papers are welcomed on a variety of topics, of which only
  a small sample might include: the nature of hypertextual time,
  cybertext/algorithmic anatomy, hypertext narratology, hypertext
  anti-narratology, the role of code in literary hypertext, hypertextual
  close reading, literary interfaces, minimalist hypertext, maximalist
  (sculptural) hypertext, and the nature of hypertextual genre.

Ubiquitous Hypermedia

  Chair Kaj Gronbaek, Aarhus University

  Rich networks of relationships exist among physical real-world objects
  as well as between these objects and computerized documents. We seek
  contributions that explore the interface between the physical and the
  virtual, especially those emphasizing creation, visualization and
  navigation of relationships, content delivery to mobile devices,
  location tracking, authoring tools and methods for geospatial
  relationships, and innovative uses of this technology for work, play,
  and creative expression.

Spatial Hypertext

  Chair Frank Shipman, Texas A&M University

  The relative positioning of artifacts to create new relationships and
  meaning has long been used by sculptors and visual artists. Spatial
  hypertext builds on this tradition to assign meaning and structure to
  units of text and media based on their visual similarity and relative
  geometric and temporal placement in virtual information spaces. We are
  interested in contributions that explore this novel information
  structuring technique, including new systems, user interfaces and
  metaphors, visualizations, methodologies, experience reports, and
  spatial structuring techniques.

Systems and Structures

  Chair Niels Olof Bouvin, Aarhus University

  Now that the Web has entered a period of stabilization characterized
  by increased maturity and incremental technical improvement, we seek
  research on novel systems that expose possibilities far beyond the
  Web as we know it. We solicit contributions on innovative systems,
  methodologies, and taxonomies for representing and structuring
  intellectual work and its inter-relationships. Users of systems can
  range from individuals to collaborative teams, working free-form, or
  in defined workflows. Dimensions of interest include novel user
  interfaces, architectures, distribution, data models, infrastructure,
  standards, openness, and, generally, capabilities for augmenting
  creative intellectual activity.

Other topics

  Papers about all aspects of hypertext and hypermedia are welcome,
  whether or not they fit one or more of the above themes.

Submission categories

  Hypertext 2004 is seeking full papers and hypertexts, short papers,
  workshops, technical briefings, doctoral consortium contributions,
  demonstrations, and posters. Please see the Web site for further
  information.

Conference Committee

 Program Co-Chairs
    David De Roure, University of Southampton, UK [log in to unmask]
    Helen Ashman, University of Nottingham, UK [log in to unmask]
 General Chair
    Jim Whitehead, University of California, Santa Cruz, US [log in to unmask]
 Hypertext Program Chair
    Simon Buckingham Shum, Open University, UK [log in to unmask]
 Workshops Chair
    Manolis Tzagarakis, Computer Technology Institute, Greeece [log in to unmask]
 Tutorials Chair
    Jamie Blustein, Dalhousie University, Canada [log in to unmask]
 Posters & Demonstrations Chair
    Jessica Rubart, Fraunhofer IPSI, Germany [log in to unmask]
 Panels & Technical Briefings Chair
    Mark Bernstein, Eastgate Systems, US [log in to unmask]
 Doctoral Consortium Chair
    Leslie Carr, University of Southampton, UK [log in to unmask]

                         http://www.ht04.org/
       For general enquiries please contact [log in to unmask]
                         ACM approval pending