I have recently been looking at the iron industry in the Perry Barr area in what is now part of Birmingham in the transition between  the bloomery process and the indirect process, that is early to mid 16th century.  There may be three iron mills in quite a small area.  One is referred to as a blomesmithy and as a brannsmithy (and certainly involved a forge),  the other(s) invariably as hammer mills.  I am wondering whether these are merely synonyms (as I have assumed in the past), or whether they were fulfilling slightly different functions.  Does any one have any views on this?  Does any one have any other examples that throw light on the subject?

Peter King,
49, Stourbridge Road,
Hagley,
Stourbridge