I dimly recall reading in Karl Young's Drama of the Medieval Church that the office of the Presentation of the Virgin was introduced in the later fourteenth century to the Western liturgy de Philippe de Mezieres, who had encountered it in 'the East'.  Young publishes the earliest known version of the liturgical drama/dramatised liturgy, and I think he says that it was first staged in Avignon (1485) and shortly after in Venice (or maybe vice versa).  It wouldn't be surprising to find earlier versions in painting (egs by Taddeo Gaddi, Guisto de Menabuoi, the late-13thC Magdalene master spring to mind) since the story was in circulation in the texts others have mentioned well before the event it described became a feast.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]