Many thanks for your reply.  I haven't got hold of the article yet, but it seems from the dearth of responses that such galleries aren't common.

best wishes

Laura
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Colmán O' Clabaigh
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 3:46 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Hidden galleries (Wells, Kilkenny)

Dear Laura

There is another example of this type of west door Gallery at St Canice's Cathedral in Kilkenny in Ireland which was begun by Bishop Hugh de Mapilton around 1251-6 and completed around 1280. An article on this type of gallery mentioning Wells, another English Cathedral and Kilkenny appeared in a very recent addition of the Downside Review. Unfortunately I have just last week sent it to be bound so I cannot give the exact reference!

My recollection is that the author claims the galleries were used for a sung dialogue between choirboys and adult choristers as part of the Palm Sunday liturgy. He also gives the references to the texts sung.

Colmán O'Clabaigh, OSB
Glenstal Abbey Library,
Murroe,
Co Limerick
Ireland
The material on the hidden gallery behind the facade at Wells was new to me, and fascinating.  Does anyone know of other such examples (where it appears that concealed voices were intended to ring out)?

Laura
-religion.html