>Doug Wrote

 McGill's lab has developed an emg driven computer model which takes into
> account the degrees of freedom of the lumbar spine and most of the
> muscles.  The study involved taking emg readings and kinematics from
> normal subjects doing these exercises and inputing the data into the
> model.  This gives them a stability index.  They then manipulated the
> emg for each muscle. In one trial they would zero the emg for the next
> they would max the emg.  They would then get stability indexes for these
> situations.  Maxing out or zeroing transversus emg had little effect on
> the stability index.  This study of course relies on the validity of
> their model. I think the model is fairly well accepted.  I believe that
> Cholewicki and McGill have published studies based on it.

John Replies

I am always amazed by the ability of peole to develop such complex
modelling - I still have problems geting my VCR to work.

My only comment would be that in a mathematical model where you are able to
maximise and minimise muscles INDEPENDENTLY of each other it may well be
that any one muscle contributes very little to overall stability. The
research of Hodges et al seems to suggest that dysfunction in TrAb is
accompanied by similar dysfunction in MTf,  pelvic floor, and diaphragm (jut
that these latter muscles are clinically harder to measure activity levels
in). So that if they modelled, say, a 10% reduction in this GROUP of muscle
combined (ie TrAb, diaphragm, pelvic floor, MTf) it might result in
considerable loss of stability. In vivo I should imagine that this is a more
likely scenario that an isolated reuction in TrAb on its own.

I guess the researchers will have thought of this...

I can see what you mean about Psoas - If you've ever seen an orhopod trying
to dislocate the head of a femur in a hip replacement operstion it's hard to
imagine a need for STABILISING this joint...

John Spencer