Dear colleagues,

I am working on a late 12th-century manuscript which clearly was written by several contemporary hands. I want to be able to state that 'Hand 1 changes in fol 35r to Hand 2, and reverts to Hand 1 three fols later. This hand remains constant until fol 148v, where a third hand takes over for two signatures. After a successive new hand, etc. etc. etc...'; I hope you get the picture.

Sadly, I don't know enough about descriptions of medieval scribal handwriting to make this clear in the description I am trying to write of the codex, so if any of you could suggest either examples of 'best practice' (i.e., scholars who have done an excellent job in demonstrating the changes in hands in a manuscript) or palaeographical guides (or histories of writing) that discuss this issue, I would be grateful.

I suppose a major problem is knowing when the hand changes, as opposed to when it is tired or is having a particularly bad day after the night before (in a manner of speaking, of course).

Just so you know, the codex in question is Wiesbaden, Hessische Landesbibliothek, 2 -- produced c. 1180, this is the 'Riesenkodex' produced in Rupertsberg, containing most of Hildegard of Bingen's works. Some people have attempted this already with this ms, but fools like me rush in where angels fear to tread -- I disagree with some of my predecessors claims, and wish to describe the reasons why in a scientific manner.

Many thanks and Alles Gute,
George Ferzoco

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]