A couple of legendary/literary instances.

In Canto XX of the Paradiso, Dante is amazed to find Trajan and Ripheus.
Trajan was supposed to have been redeemed by the prayers of Gregory the
Great.  Ripheus, mentioned as especially righteous in the Aeneid, is Dante's
nominee, but the circumstances tell us at least that Dante subscribed to
the notion of a "baptism of desire."

Regards,
Jim Kerbaugh

culture              <[log in to unmask]> =====
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Hello all:
>
>On another list, a discussion has arisen regarding an Irish passage that
>says there were three men in Ireland who believed in Jesus before the coming
>of Patrick. We have been discussing the somewhat obscure reasons given for
>considering them believers. I'm wondering about two things: when did the
>concept of "baptism of desire" originate? And are there stories in other
>medieval or ancient cultures of people who were considered believers despite
>never having been missionized?
>
>Thank you!
>
>Francine Nicholson, M.A.

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]