-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]Im Auftrag von Phyllis Jestice
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2002 02:22
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [M-R] go on planting trees

Was Luther familiar with the Talmud?  Arthur Mendel in *Vision and
Violence* (U. of Michigan, 1992) has an interesting discussion of
apocalyptic messianism in Judaism, including the quote from the Talmud
(unfortunately he doesn't make it clear which rabbi said it): "If you are
planting a tree and someone comes and says, 'the Messiah is coming!' go on
planting. . . ."

Phyllis

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]