>From: Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]>

>Anne and Joachim (1st cent.)  The parents of the Virgin Mary.  They first
>appear in the second-century gospel of James.  According to legend, the
>couple had been unable to produce a child, but after angelic intervention
>they miraculously procreated the BVM when they met and embraced at the
>Golden Gate of Jerusalem.  The cult of A and J really took off in the
>twelfth century, and Anne's cult only became a universal feast in 1584.

The cult of Anne acquired almost a life of its own in Canada. It's unclear
to what extent this was related to its popularity in Brittany. A fascinating
development was the adoption of Ste. Anne as patroness by a number of the
First Peoples living in what became eastern Canada and the U.S., notably the
Mi'kmaq and Western Ab'naki. The annual gatherings of the people at central
locations became linked to the feast of the adopted and adapted figure of
Ste. Anne (she arrives in North America while fleeing from an abusive
husband and her symbol is the eagle feather). See Harald Prins, _The
Mi'kmag: Resistance, Accommodation, and Cultural Survival, Wadsworth Pub Co;
ISBN: 0030534275; 1st edition (January 2, 1996).

Francine Nicholson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]