>I believe it's still prescribed (in small doses of course) for
>migraine headaches -- certainly it has been within recent memory. It
>works for some people, and has the virtue of being cheaper than some
>of the more modern stuff. Once was enough for me to try it, though --
>it made me so dizzy I couldn't stand up. I was even dizzy lying flat
>on my back. No interesting visions, though! <grin>

For years, the standard treatment for migraines was ergotamine. My mother
and I both suffer from them, though she much worse than I. When I was taking
chemistry in college, I found out from my professor that ergotamine is
basically an oxygen atom away from being LSD, which could be termed
ergotamide (an amine is an -NH2 bonded to a hydrocarbon; an amide is an
amine bonded to a carbon which in turn is double-bonded to an oxygen).
Though I've never taken ergotamine, when I told my professor that my
(dedidedly anti-drug) mother took it quite regularly, he chuckled and told
me to ask her if she experienced any low-grade color resolution.

Back to topic, wasn't ergotism the cause of the mass hysteria at Loudun
(Loudon?), which became the subject of an Aldous Huxley book and later a Ken
Russell film? Also, I've read references to "crazy bread," which was taken
at festivals, though I don't know how much of the latter is based on fact.
Do any of you know anything further on this?

-Mariano

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]