At 5:44 PM -0500 6/27/02, Dennis Martin wrote:

>Hysteria may in some cases manifest symptoms something like stigmata.
>But "something like" and the actual wounds observed on Padre Pio's hands
>and feet and side need to be considered carefully.  In Padre Pio's case,
>that the wounds produced large quantities of blood was observed by a
>variety of witnesses.  These were not merely bruised or stained areas of
>skin but lesions in the epidermis and dermis that produced significant
>amounts of real blood.  Has anyone seriously suggested that this exact
>phenomen has ever been observed as the result of hysteria?

I believe the psychological studies of the stigmata that I've heard
of (and I can't cite a specific source, either) concentrate not on
whether the stigmata in question originate by Divine grace or from
human psychological impulses, but on what form they take.

The conclusion I have heard is that the beliefs of the bearer seem to
influence the appearance the stigmata take on, especially where they
are placed. If the bearer thinks of the nails of the Cross as going
through the palms of the hands, that is where the hand stigmata
appear; if the bearer thinks of them as going through the wrist, they
appear there instead.
O    Chris Laning
+    Davis, California

to: [log in to unmask]