From: Martin Brown <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 10:59 AM
Subject: Re: monetary values

The deposition also mentions 10 casks, if that helps!  But 2520 gallons does
help quantify it a bit
more in terms of demi-johns or contents of off-licences.  I've asked my
contact at the local and
very excellent brewery to give me an idea of how much their coppers and vats
hold.

We're not far from the sea here and Lewes was a port but we're also close to
Seaford and Winchelsea,
both Cinque Ports importing wine, so maybe transport on-costs weren't huge,
but even so...

Frankly, having heard the volume of drink involved, I'm tending towards
thinking it was partly an
insurance job and partly wanton vandalism, rather than a case of the rebels
slurping the lot!

The complaint the Earl made to the crown appears never to have resulted in
action against those
named, perhaps because the Bolingbroke rebellion got in the way; they seem
to have got away with it!

Everyone's information will all be useful tonight, I'm doing a guided walk
that includes the
Peasants' Revolt.  I can amaze everyone thanks to all your help.

Thanks!