>From: Pecia <[log in to unmask]>

>Le culte liturgique de saint Ronan ne parait pas très ancien : Bréviaire
>imprimé de Saint-Pol de Léon de 1516 (Paris BnF B 49290), bréviaire de
>Tréguier du XV ème s. (ADCA n.c.?). Ronan est l'éponyme des paroisses de
>Saint-Renan (diocèse de Léon) et de Locronan (diocèse de Quimper) lieu d'un
>célèbre et antique pèlerinage (petite et grande troménie de saint Renan).

Do you think the tradition of the troménie is older ore more recent than the
cult of Ronan?

Also, I wonder: why is the troménie in mid-July if St. Ronan's feast was in
June? Daniel Melia (Melia, Daniel. "The Grande Troménie at Locronan: A Major
Breton Lughnasa Celebration." Journal of American
Folklore 91 (1978), 528-542) has suggested that the troménie is a remnant of
a pre-Christian Lughnasa-type celebration (marking the beginning of harvest)
in the same way that the pilgrimage to Croagh Patrick is in Ireland (see
also Máire Mac Neill, _Festival at Lughnasa_, Oxford University. Press,
1962).  What do you think?

(Incidentally, there are some nice on-line video clips of the troménie at
http://www.britia.com/videos/tromenie.htm)

Francine Nicholson