From: Kirsteen Knight [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 1:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SouthWest, or SouthWorst?

Hi,
This is something I've been thinking about. Could you argue
that being FAT
is a disability? I know that if you did, a large section of
the media would
be up in arms saying things like 'this is political
correctness gone mad'.
 have an obese friend. He is extremely talented journalist
but time and time
again is turned down for work he's qualified to do. If
someone faces
discrimination because of their size isn't there an argument
that they
should be protected by the DDA? Does it make a difference if
the persons
obesity may be, in part, caused by diabetes? I'm not trying
to make a case
either way, as I say it's just something I've been thinking
about lately.
Does anyone know if there's been any research or papers
about this?
Thanks.
Kirsteen.
Researcher