While I think it is perfectly understandable to celebrate a political victory,
truly civilized people don't celebrate the death of their political opponents.
There are lots of public figures that I don't agree with.  While I cheer and
celebrate their defeat at the polls, or the defeat of some piece of legislation I
vehemently disagree with, I would never celebrate their deaths.  Celebrating the
end of a war or the death of someone like Hitler or Stalin is different.  These
people were enemies of civilization and were responsible for heinous crimes.
Celebrating their demise is appropriate.

I suppose this is all part of the increasingly rude society in which we live.  A
survey just conducted in the US by Public Agenda showed that 79% of those polled
felt "a lack of respect and courtesy is a serious problem".  61% felt that the
problem was becoming worse.

I realize that this will sound terribly old fashioned, but there are sentiments
that "ladies and gentlemen" simply don't give voice to.  Or write down, except
perhaps in their own personal diaries.

James H. Brothers IV