The Quaracchi editors of the vita prima of Thomas of Celano (First Life of Francis of Assisi) refer in their notes to a text known as "Ps-Seneca, De paupertate".  I have managed to track down that this appear to be a reference to a spurious work of Seneca the Younger that came to be attributed to Martin of Braga (6th century).  I have further learned that the attribution itself was false and that, it seems, what passes for "De paupertate" was, in fact, a collection of saying drawn from Seneca's writings which were then (falsely) ascribed to Martin.

My question is: can anyone help me to find the text of this little work called "De paupertate"?  Apparently it was appended to a group of texts ascribed to Martin in the 16th century (Gilbertus Cognatus), or more precisely, in 1546.  However, I must have misplaced my personal copy of the manuscript on my desk...  Does anyone know of a modern edition of the latin text?  Said sleuth can respond privately if one wishes.

Thanks!

Michael Cusato OFM

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]