  From: Ms Brenda M. Cook
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 12:08 AM
  Subject: [M-R] Quotation? Can anyone identify.

  I am working on the Letter from Robert of Arbrissel to Ermengarde of Brittany (c. 1106) and it contains a vivid image which I am sure must be a quotation, or at any rate an allusion to an earlier author. The editor of the text ( 1854) identifies a huge number of Biblical quotes / allusions but says nothing about this one. My guess is that it is Augustine of Hippo or possibly Benedict of Nursia, but I'd be deeply obliged if someone could put me right.

  Voluntas tua esset ut mundum relinqueres, et te ipsam abnegares, et nuda nudum Christum in cruce sequereis.

  (It must be your desire to renounce the world, to deny yourself and, naked, follow the naked Christ upon the cross.)

  B.M.C.