[log in to unmask] wrote:

>A word of warning about using the Gallia Christiana for researching
medieval diocesan boundaries.  It is organized by 17th-century
diocesan and archdiocesan boundaries, many of which differed from
those of the Middle Ages.

fair enough.

>Chartres, for example, is listed in the Archdiocese of Paris rather than
Sens...

and, of course, about a third of the medieval diocese of C. had been excised
in the 17th century to create the completely new diocese of Blois, which is
reflected in the GC.

as far as i know, the Pouillés (and, where they exist, modern maps drawn using
them as a primary source) are the only sure source for determining, not just
complete diocesan boundries, but also, equally useful on occasion, the
interior subdivisions into archdeaconries, prevo^tés, rural deaconries, etc.

as well as something of a sense of the relative "value"/importance of every
parish.

for example, here's an 1861 map of the diocese of Chartres-- as it existed
before that of Bois was carved out of it in 1697-- drawn (i think) by Lucien
Merlet, the archiviste of the departement, presumably based on the Pouillés
which he was engaged in publishing as an appendix to his beautiful edition of
the _Cartulaire de la Cathedrale de Notre-Dame de Chartres_:

http://www.ariadne.org/centrechartraine/maps/1697map2.html

(very slow to load, at 270k --i wanted to make the place names actually
visible, and they *almost* are; but i need to figure out a better way to do
that.  the spirit is there, nonetheless, and i deserve an E for Effort.)

among other things, one can see from this how *huge* the medieval diocese was,
extending all the way from the Seine at Melun and Poissy in the North, to --in
the archdeaconry of Blois ("Blesensis," down south)-- even beyond the Loire,
touching the diocese of Bourges; and from beyond Dreux,
in the West, almost to Etampes, in the East.

the diocese of Paris is (delimited by the red line, not the yellow/gold one),
modestly, less than half that of Chartres in total area.

Merlet has confused things a bit, however, in drawing in the (1861)
departemental boundries (in yellow --map key in the lower right), which, of
course, have nothing to do with anything medieval whatever and have even
changed somewhat since Merlet's day.

the maps in the GC, though not nearly as detailed as this one, are probably
based on the Pouillés to a certain extent, Jim's caveat still being
applicable.

caveat lector.

best to all from here,

christopher