[log in to unmask] wrote:

>My feeling is that, with many servants, oblates, corrodians, etc., not to
mention monks or nuns, medieval monasteries were probably really quite varied
in their inhabitants.

that's certainly my understanding as well: even without counting the guys out
working the land of the estates, just in the immediate neighborhood of the
mother house, actual, professed Monks themselves were probably in a small
minority.

(was not one of the elements of the Early Cistercian Ideal --what a
construct!-- the "return" of the Monks to the Rule's admonition that they
should do actual, physical labor, as opposed to those FatCat Cluniacs who
"worked" only on the _opus Dei_?  Probably a very old-fashioned idea, that.)

the situation would perhaps have been different in the case of outlying,
smaller priories, which might have been staffed by 1-3 or so Monks sent out
from the Mother House, probably with a few attached servants (though there,
again, were the multiplicity of various levels of serfs who were attached to
the land which the priory owned in the immediate neighborhood and "exploited"
--in such intimate circumstances the distinction between the "staff" of the
priory itself and its agricultural hangers-on would have been somewhat less...
well... distinct, perhaps).

but, as usual, i'm just flying by the Seat of my Pants here --there must be a
vast literature on this subject (check out Constable's bibliography), up with
which i have never kept.  Someone who actually knows something about it should
definitively inform us all (or, at least, correct my own mis-impressions).

best to all from here,

christopher

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]