I would be most interested in hearing about eastern orthodox
or analogous examples of chorbishops, as several armenians
who, in the words of the chronicler "said they were bishops"
appear in iceland in the 11th century. part of the armenian
diaspora at this time, i always assumed, but if such
auxiliary bishops exist, that would explain it.
are there any armenian experts out there?
Meg

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>A chorbishop (from Greek chora, meaning country, and episkopos) is a
>member of the clergy who is delegated by a bishop of a city to provide
>pastoral care for the people in the surrounding countryside. Unlike
>suffragan bishops, fully ordained bishops under the authority of a
>metropolitan/archbishop, chorbishops did not have full episcopal
>authority, e.g., they could not ordain priests. As far as I know there
>are no longer chorbishops in the Catholic Church; a modern analogy might
>be auxiliary bishops. In fact, Modestus seems to be a rather late
>example of a chorbishop, because in western Europe they were phased out
>in the eighth or ninth century. I believe that some eastern orthodox
>churches still use chorbishops.

>John D. Beetham

>John B. Wickstrom wrote:

>>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>>
>>Modestus of Carinthia (d. 772)  Bishop Virgil of Salzburg sent Modestus as
>>a missionary to Carinthia (south Austria).  He was consecrated as a
>>chorbischof (? I don't know how to translate this; suffragan bishop?)
>>
>>Yes, suffragan. I _think_ in origin it is a Greek term.
>>
>>John B. Wickstrom
>>Kalamazoo College
>>mailto:[log in to unmask]

Margaret Cormack                        [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion        fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston                   tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]