This discussion reminds me of years ago, when I ran across information about
disability/illness/deformity and the  Catholic religious life: weren't
Catholic religious orders refusing admittance to people with these things
until very recently -- and this may still be the practice as far as I know)?
 IIRC the reasoning was along the lines of God only wants people perfect in
body without blemish (I think there's something in the Hebrew Bible about
who may or may not enter the Temple)?  And it might tie into those ancient
European/British? notions of body/soul that supported the whole trial by
ordeal mentality.  I recall being extremely upset at reading this -- I
figure nobody in their right mind wants to be disabled or disfigured, it's
an "act of nature" or "act of God," why would God make creatures so
imperfect they are unable to serve him as vowed religious?  This is
favoritism at its absolute worst and condusive to despair in the afflicted.

Any corrections of my faulty memory and any historical info is muchly
appreciated -- I may be totally wrong in what I remember.  This topic still
interests me -- I have a severe scoliosis, which means under these laws I'm
"flawed" and would never have been accepted into a religious order! -- as
does the philosophical issues of embodiment/spirituality.

Now I forget which ng this originated on -- Disability and Spirituality, or
Medieval Religion?  I'll post to both just to cover myself -- folks in
either place may know something about this topic.

Thanks in advance,

Grace
(putting my Invisible Cloak of Lurkdom back on)
--
Grace Loehr <[log in to unmask]>

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]