Phyllis -
Do you happenb to know the primary sources for Wolfred / Ulfrid?
Meg

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>Today (18. January) is the feast day of:

>Prisca (d. 41/54?)  Prisca has been venerated as a saint in Rome from
>earliest times.  All accounts of her life have a strong legendary element.
>It is possible that she was responsible for the building of the church of
>S. Prisca on the Aventine, where her relics are still kept.  It is also
>possible that she was a disciple of St. Paul.  Another legend tells that
>Prisca was a young girl, baptized by St. Peter, and martyred during the
>reign of Claudius.

>Liberata and Faustina (d. 580/581)  These sisters were from the region of
>Piacenza.  They fled together to avoid marriage and founded a convent in
>Como that became an important center for female religious.

>Wolfred (Ulfrid) (d. 1028)  Wolfred was a missionary from England to Sweden
>in c. 1000.  He was killed by irate pagans.

>Margareta of Hungary (d. 1270)  Margareta was a daughter of King Bela IV of
>Hungary.  From the age of ten she lived in a Dominican convent founded by
>her father on an island in Budapest (now named after Margareta), and in
>1254 took vows.  She lived a life of absolute poverty and severe penitence,
>and was already venerated as a model of humility and love of others during
>her lifetime.  She was beatified in 1276, and declared a saint in 1943.

>Andreas of Peschiera (d. 1485)  Andreas became a Dominican friar in c.
>1440.  He worked for nearly 45 years as a preacher in the region of Veltlin
>in northern Italy, and was regarded as a miracle worker.  His cult won
>formal approval in 1820.

>Christina of Aquila (d. 1543) (blessed)  Christina, born in Colle di Lucoli
>(Italy) in 1480, became an Augustinian nun (hermit? canoness?  I don't know
>what options were open to Augustinian women that late) in L'Aquila in 1505,
>and eventually abbess.  She was noted for her numerous visions and
>ecstasies.  Her cult was approved in 1841.

>Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

Margaret Cormack                        [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion        fax: 843-953-6388
College of Charleston                   tel: 843-953-8033
Charleston, SC 29424-0001

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]