> If I remember well, the connection of the chrisma of
> Clovis with the
> consecration of a French king dates from a report of
> Hincmar about the
> crowning ceremony of Charles "le Chauve" (in about
> 870?)

Yes, that's my recollection also. But there had to be
some object that functioned as the ampoule and that
object, it is suggested by Patrick Demouy I think, was
the vial for embalming oil found in Remi's tomb. If
that's the case, what happened to the ampoule between
the discovery of it and the second mention that you
mention? I assume the monks of Saint-Remi would not
allow the ampoule to travel and that any king not
anointed at Reims would have been anointed with
something else.

> In 1108, when Louis VI was consecrated in Orleans,
> Ivo of Chartres
> argued about the legitimation of this act WITHOUT
> mentioning the
> legendary baptismal oil and the claims of Reims to
> use it. He should
> have done so, if the oil was in use then.

Could it not have just been taken for granted that the
ampoule cum Reims-as-venue was a package deal and one
could not exist without the other?

> The Sainte-Ampoule is re-mentioned, for the very
> first time, in the
> chronicle of Morigny, on the occasion of the
> crowning and *embalming*

(anointing?)

> ceremony of Louis VII im Reims in 1131(by pope
> Innocent II).

Pardon the giggles, Werner, but it sounds as though
Louis was crowned and embalmed at the same time ;-)
MG
 As the cult