A friend gave me for Christmas two relics that she has owned for
several years, and I'm trying to make sure of their identification.

One of them is labeled "S. Othmari A."  The only Othmar in the St.
Augustine's Abbey's _Book of Saints_ is an 8th-century abbot of St.
Gall, so I an guessing that the "A." stands for "Abbot."

The other is labeled "S. Augustine E. C. D." I am guessing that the
abbreviations stand for "Episcopus, Confessor, Doctor" and that
therefore this is THE St. Augustine, of the _Confessions_ and other
works. Anyone know whether I'm interpreting this correctly?

Also, the Augustine relic has an official certificate of
authenticity, and since he's not a saint I'm particularly fond of,
I'd be interested in finding this one a good home with someone who
would value it. I have no idea how common such relics are or how easy
to obtain. Any ideas how I would go about finding an appropriate
person or institution?
O    Chris Laning
+    Davis, California

to: [log in to unmask]