Hello,

Firstly; I agree with Lorna Campbell's description of the remit of CETIS
and the SIGs. There is obviously a need for us to set the survey in its
context in an introductory paragraph, as Phil Barker suggested.

Secondly; Thanks to Aida Slavic for clearing up the distinction between a
scheme and a schema. The SCHEMAS definition will be entered into the CETIS
encyclopedia when it is running properly (suitably referenced, of course!).

I am personally very pleased to have such a workable definition. I had
always got the impression that the two terms were used interchangeably! My
own understanding on the difference between a schema and a scheme was from
the Oxford English dictionary, which had given me the impression that a
schema was simply a diagrammatic representation of a scheme, and I had
trouble matching this to the use of the terms with regard to metadata.

I also came across a recent definition of a schema as: "a set of
statements, expressed in data definition language, that completely describe
the structure of a document or a database." - Gilchrist, Alan (2002) "From
Aristotle to the 'semantic web'", LA Record January 2001 vol 104(1).

Whilst we're at it, has anyone else come across any other definitions of
scheme and schema?

All definitions will be entered into the CETIS encyclopedia since Lorna
Campbell's recommendation that more than one definition ought to be allowed
for each term, because the same terms are often used with slightly
different meanings amongst different communities. (Please see Lorna's
"Recommendations for CETIS encyclopedia" posting of 20 December 2001)

best wishes

Jenny

At 17:58 11/01/02 +0000, Aida Slavic wrote:
>Just little terminological contribution if you care to read...
>
>It is agreed in the metadata community when to use term 'schema' and when
term
>'scheme'
>It was said that 'Schema' should be used to describe
>'A set of metadata elements representing the attributes of
> a resource. Each element will have a name and associated
> semantics.' (From SCHEMAS project glossary)  thus DC, IMS, LOM would be
'metadata
>schemas'
>
>While vocabulary used within any of their descriptive elements that comes
from some
>published and well known source (thesaurus, classification) should be
'scheme'. Thus
>one can use many 'schemes' in one 'metadata schema'.
>What is metadata?
>Survey should make clear as Phil mentioned what is meant under 'metadata'
and
>explain that metadata in focus here is not technical or administrative but
merely
>descriptive.
>Definition: Metadata is structured (machine readable) description of the
resource
>that serves to its discovery and management. In the educational domain the
resource
>is educational material thus IMS is domain specific metadata...and it has
to take
>care about both general descriptive elements and education-specific
description
>(while e.g. DC, INDECS, TEI, and family of MARC formats are general
descriptive
>schemas)
>
>Also the notion of application profiles.. should be anticipated when
dealing with
>metadata schemas.As you can mix in one application profiles elements from
several
>metadata schemas... But even more importantly one can use the same
metadata schema
>and then use different vocabulary in it or expand it....
>"Other" can be used here for peopel who merged several schemes or built
their own.

>aida
>Phil Barker wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> thank you to those who have sent me feedback on the IMS metadata use
survey.

>> I don't think there should be any problem incorporating the points about
level
>> of expertise / prior experience and management of metadata into the
survey. I
>> would like to follow up on Aida's second point:
>>
>> > 2) 'Are you using any other metadata schemes, if so which'
>> > - it looks like that here mentioned question would need some
clarification
>> >  whether 'metadata schemes' asked should not be 'learning material
metadata
> [...]
Jenny Slater,
LTSN Engineering, Loughborough University,
Leicestershire, LE11 3TU, UK

Tel. (+44) 01509 227 176
E-mail: [log in to unmask]