That's interesting, David, because my I Ging describes 44 as the prince
inclining to a mouth, with a resolute (dancing?) woman on the left, the
whole meaning tolerance or lenience. My rather Jungian
translator/interpreter calls the bottom broken Ying line I the dangerous
Anima figure whom the Yang lines are trying to deal with. Line II is the
strict but understanding sub-lord controlling the latter, thus the fish
container, though he has not lost contact with I, unlike IV who has a
container without a fish: this is Freud's uneasy culture repressing too
much, where V manages to sublimate successfully; he calls the container the
(phallogocentric?) ego, which seems to have frozen or transformed into an
outsider's unapproachableness in VI. Your scaly being is thus both slippery
"meaning" (the obscure object of desire?) and the elusive monstrous anima
(ditto). What 44 seems to illustrate is the conflicts involved in the
hypostasizing of life & meaning in the interests of "order". If _langue_ can
be grasped (very incompletely) as a shifting but somehow transcendental (not
transcendent!) system of differences, _parole_, which is all we know
directly, seems to flow with the dark undercurrent of sense but resolves
into a stutter of separate semantic/syntactic fields when we look more
closely. Meaning may resemble desire, then , in being resistant to
containment, both in either of your 2 meanings and in Bion's sense of
motherly "holding", though it (containment) can never cease to grasp. This
is all as obscure & difficult to me as to anyone else, of course, that's why
I'm rambling (after a period of silence). The wind bloweth where it listeth,
"I" can't finally master it. Last night I saw film of the snowy haired Pound
being interviewed by (2 or more invisible) Frenchmen: the voices seemed to
come rat-ta-tatting (oh Gallic cafés, oh endless coffee & conversation) from
the off ~ When you chose silence, about 6/7 years ago, wasn't it, did it
mean that something had finished ? ~ Did you mean to say something by your
silence? When you chose silence, did you thereby recognize your work was
done? etc. All the time Pound sat there, silently, & one thought God! he's
not going to answer; the voices dried up, a tremulous yet imperious presence
remained, then his mouth hardly moved: Le silence m'a choisi.
End of clip. Perhaps Pound became line VI of hexagram 44?
Best
Martin