I find Chris WAlker's posts tonight fascinating. I had always
thought of poems as being information wrapped up in packets,
but now I see that it is more exactly emotional information
wrapped up in a packet. Alison was talking about 'feeling'
a week or two ago and this must be inter-related. But fascinating
ideas from Christopher.

The University Challenge Final has just finished and was brilliant.
Somerville won. Now I am getting old I find I can answer more of
the questions because of my lifelong experience. But it is amazing
how youngsters of 20 can acquire such outlandish knowledge.
Now for 'Wellington' on Channel 4. I am an old imperialist
at heart, reading 'Ornamentalism', and David Gilmour's new
book on Kipling looks a must when it comes out in paperback.

But many thanks Christopher for 'emotional information
wrapped up in a packet of words which unravel on the tongue'
as a definition of a poem.

Douglas Clark, Bath, England           mailto: [log in to unmask]
Lynx: Poetry from Bath  ..........  http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html