From: Claire McGuinness [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 May 2002 15:05
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Requestion for Information (Apologies for cross-posting)

Dear LIS-Infoskills Colleagues,

As part of a current research project, I am currently attempting to establish the level of faculty-library collaboration in third-level institutions, particularly within the context of information literacy education.While I am aware of increased activity in the US and Australia, I have comparatively little evidence of collaborative initiatives in the UK and Ireland, although I believe that this is due to lack of available descriptive documentation, rather than complete absence. The case studies published electronically as part of the Big Blue project are a good starting point - however, as part of my own investigation, I would be more than grateful to colleagues who would be willing to put together brief answers to two questions, to enable me to compile a "master list", as it were, of examples of successful (or even partly successful) collaborations in their institutions. The two questions are as follows:

  • Can you describe the library-faculty collaborative programme(s) at your institution, including the reasons for collaboration?
  • What were/are the key factors contributing to the success of this venture?

Answers need not be long, I merely wish to gain an overview of the activity in this regard. Results will, of course, be made available to interested parties. The benefits of this exercise are twofold - firstly, such a list contributes in an important way to the inclusivity of this, and future research projects; and secondly, making the list available to requesters may foster networking and inter-institutional co-operation between parties engaged in similar endeavours.

Thanking you for your contributions,

Regards,
Claire McGuinness,
University College Dublin.