We went through a similar process on linux (level 2 + oracle single server
to level 3 + oracle dual server).  After having installed the new software
in our test environment, I had problems migrating the data.  I logged a call
with Blackboard asking for additional documentation and their reply was:

"Resolution:  To Migrate from 1 level to another we here at product support
must do this for you..any questions please call blackboard product support."

Wasn't happy about this, as they sold us level 3 as an easy upgrade, never
mentioning that it was one they would have to do.  We did contact them, and
they told us we'd have to request (and additionally pay for) the
installation service at least 3 weeks in advance, and that our servers would
have to be down for 3 days.

So we took a bit longer to investigate, test things out and ask advice from
other customers.  We then did the migration ourselves.  After a false start
due to national language mismatches, it cost us 4 hours downtime (time
needed for database import/export - if you don't care about the tracking
data, it can be done in less, as most of the time went into rebuilding the
index on that +10M record table).

So my recommendation would be, find a test environment, and try things out.
 If you run into problems and have specific questions, just ask.  With a bit
of luck, someone already found a solution.

Herta