This is interesting. Is the bloke in `Who's who'? If so, I doubt that
it is for his work at OS, as only Director-Generals seem to be
included. As for the gallant cartographer's worthiness for inclusion in
`Tooley', or anything else of the sort, it is surely a question whether
many of his colleagues of Director and Deputy Director level, variously
in OS, DoS and Mil Survey are not equally deserving!

Richard Oliver

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:34:04 -0000 Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> "Brigadier Lewis Harris, cartographer, 91".  Not an obituary notice, but
> amongst today's 'Birthdays' list in 'The Independent'.  If it were an obit
> who amongst subscribers to Lis-maps could identify, or produce evidence of,
> his mapping work in their own collections?  I am just curious to know how
> the information retrieval facilities of map collections (and his associated
> professional institutions) have handled this kind of enquiry in the past,
> are doing so at present, and will do so in the future.  All I have
> *immediately* at hand is his entry in 'Kartenmacher aller Laender und
> Zeiten' compiled by Wilhelm Bonacker (Stuttgart : Hiersemann, 1966).  OK, as
> you're all anxious to know what it reads, I'll transcribe the entry
> herewith:-
>
> "Harris, Lewis John (*1910), Chessington (Survey), Geodaet (Dir. of Field
> Surveys, Ordnance Survey)."
>
> And - to save you looking - he does not appear in 'Tooley's dictionary of
> mapmakers',  rev. ed.,  vol. 2 : E-J (Map Collector Publications, 2001)
>
> Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)
> http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections']

Richard Oliver, B.A., D.Phil., F.B.Cart.S.,
School of Geography & Archaeology
University of Exeter
Exeter, EX4 4RJ