Every list I'm on has gone through this same struggle - is the war relevant
to our list?  Should listmembers be allowed to take up this issue?  I don't
feel like I have an answer to that question that isn't moderated by a
feeling that both sides have some legitimate points to make.  However, the
following occurs to me:

a.) The Lancet, NEJM, BMJ etc. all contain articles about driving safety,
gun control, battered women, teen suicide, class differences etc. and how
they impact death rates and health.  It isn't much of a reach to say that
war and our position to affect that war is a crucial issue affecting
people's health.  Right now it is said by most international aid agencies
that millions of Afghanis will starve to death if the U.S. doesn't stop
bombing now - this is not an issue without relevance to the medical
community.
b.) On the other hand, there is a place and time for everything - None of
the journals mentioned above focus solely on such issues; they maintain a
balance.
c.) I think it is unfair for listmembers to say "No more conversation on
this topic" and then throw out deliberately provocative comments and not
expect a response.  If you really believe in "no more conversation" - then
make no more comments other than expressing that point - otherwise you
invite retort.
d.) One reason to NOT take all such conversation off-list is this.  In my
experience, some of my own changes - when someone has truly turned my
viewpoint around - came when a person I knew made comments in an environment
of respect.  One problem with elists started up solely to discuss the war
etc., is that people don't know each and tend to shout.  Learning how to
have a respectful conversation with colleagues - while at times painful and
difficult - can be productive.
e.) There are any number of topics on elists in which I see the subject
header and I simply hit delete.  Not out of anger or dismay - I simply have
different interests that may or may not coincide with those posted.  What is
wrong with doing the same for this topic?

jeanne lenzer