Despite the 'fight for freedom', it appears things are going pretty much as
normal in the rest of the world...

> >>Dear Friends,
> >>
> >>Our friend, brother and comrade, Oscar Olivera is in
> trouble. Oscar, as you
> >>know, was one of the leaders that led a movement to
> successfully reverse
> >>water privatization here in Bolivia. Today he was arrested
> on charges of,
> >>among other things,
> >>"sedition, conspiracy, instigating public disorder, and criminal
> >>association." Oscar's crime? Leading protests against water
> privatization.
> >>
> >>In arresting Oscar rights of association and protest
> clearly established in
> >>the Bolivian constitution were violated, as were his right
> to due process.
> >>These absurd charges were originally filed earlier this
> year, in a move
> >>clearly aimed at dividing peaceful opponents of the government, and
> >>discouraging the exercise of the right to association and protest.
> >>
> >>Oscar was released from physical detention this afternoon,
> but the charges
> >>have not been dropped. He must report every 72 hours to
> authorities, and
> >>can be detained anew at any time.
> >>
> >>This kind of harassment is intolerable, and a clear
> violation of the most
> >>basic civil and political rights of association and
> expression. We need you
> >>to act today. Please send a simple, direct message to those
> in power here,
> >>demanding that such abuses must stop.
> >>
> >>Below please find a sample fax, and addresses. Please send
> a copy to the
> >>President Quiroga of Bolivia, with a copy to the US Embassy
> in La Paz.
> >>Please also send a copy to us.
> >>
> >>Thank you in advance for your solidarity.
> >>

> >>Marcela Olivera
> >>

> >>-------------------
> >>
> >>Lic. Jorge Quiroga Ramirez
> >>President of Bolivia
> >>We are deeply troubled to hear of the arrest this morning
> of Oscar Olivera
> >>the president of the Cochabamba Federation of Factory Workers and a
> >>spokesperson for the Coalition in Defense of Water and
> Life, on charges of
> >>"sedition".
> >>
> >>Oscar is well known around the world as a courageous labor
> leader and human
> >>rights activist. News of his detention has spread fast. We
> are fully aware
> >>of the spurious nature of the charges filed against him.
> His arrest sends
> >>an alarming message to human rights workers around the
> world: that in
> >>Bolivia fighting for basic is an offense chargeable with "sedition".
> >>
> >>We call upon you end such arbitrary arrests, and drop the
> charges against
> >>him and other leaders of the Coordinadora Samuel Soria,
> Omar Fernandez, and
> >>personally commit yourself to seeing that such violations
> of democratic
> [...]

//////////////////////////////////////////////////
Dr David Wood
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
[Algorithmic Surveillance and Social Exclusion]

Centre for Urban Technology (CUT)
School of Architecture Planning and Landscape
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU
UK