From: Scott Epsley [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 October 2001 12:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Chronic Shin Splints

Jason,
I am aware of all of the uses and benefits of eccentric exercise you quote,
and am quite impressed by your reference list.  This however does not
address the fact that eccentrics will make a compartment syndrome worse.
---
Scott Epsley
BPhty., MAPA, SPG.
PRINCIPAL PHYSIOTHERAPIST
Clifford Chambers Sports Medicine
Suite 4, 120 Russell Street
Toowoomba QLD 4350
Australia

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:04:33
 Jason Steffe wrote:
>Scott,
>
>Barring biomechanical influences (which we don't know if there are any), it
is my opinion that probable etiology of this patient's condition is not
repeated eccentric loading, but rather insufficient eccentric strength given
the functional demands (a weak eccentric/concentric muscle ratio which is
termed critical deficit %).

>Eccentrics can be used therapeutically to strengthen the series elastic
component, when speed and loads are controlled and progressed.  Eccentrics
are popular modes of exercise for treatment of overuse syndromes and
tendinitis.  Eccentric exercise does produce DOMS (theoretically because
they selectively recruit Type II fibers and small motor units) but after
minimal bouts of exercise one gains DOMS immunity for about 6 weeks.  The
rationale for eccentrics is to replicate and concomitantly condition the
tissue for the high tensile stresses it must undergo during functional
activities.  It can be implemented in the subacute phase, again when
controlled for speed and load.

>Please refer to:
>
>Jensen K, Di Fabio RP: Evaluation of eccentric exercise in treatment of
patellar tendonitis. Phys Ther 69(3): 211-216, 1989

>Mannheimer JS: A comparison of strength gain between concentric and
eccentric contraction.  Phys Ther 49(11): 1201-1207, 1972

>Trudelle-Jackson E, Meske N, Highgenboten C, Jackson A:
Eccentric/concentric torque deficits in the quadriceps muscle. JOSPT
11(4):142-145,1989.

>Albert MS, ed. Eccentric Muscle Training in Sports and Orthopedics, 2nd
ed,. New York: Churchill Livingstone Inc,. 1995.

>I didn't make evaluative suggestions to the sender (I forget who asked the
original question) because she/he didn't ask for them. The sender was asking
for suggestions to give to a friend for home exercises for a chronic
condition in a runner, not acute condition.

>Regards.
>Jason Steffe, PT, MS, MTC
>Physiotherapy Associates
>1901 Phoenix Blvd, Suite 205
>College Park, GA. 30349
>Ph: 770-907-1023
>Fax:770-907-5608

is not aimed at individuals, but as a general comment.

>  I cannot believe some of the replies about this problem.  I know there
are some very highly qulaified and intelligent people on this list - but the
over simplification of the responses to this question is dreadful.

>  Firstly, there is no such thing as "shin splints" generically.  There
must be a diagnosis, and if you must use this blanket term, it must be
qualified by anterior or posterior.  If one uses certain treatment
suggestions for posterior shin splints on anterior shin splints, one can
significantly worsen the situation, to the point of requiring surgery.  And
yes, I have seen it, and this poor lady can no longer walk without pain, and
has permanent weakness.

>  One needs also to establish if there is a component of compartment
syndrome developing.  Compartment syndrome is not shin splints, but often
ensues.  Usually it occurs in the anterior compatment (Tib Ant, EHL, EDL,
Peroneus Tertius), or deep posterior compartment (Tib Post, FHL, FDL).  One
suggestion of eccentrically training the dorsiflexors has the potential to
seriously worsen an anterior compartment syndrome, because that is the
problem in the first place - over use of the dorsiflexors eccentrically.  It
has been shown that increased muscular swelling occurs with eccentric
exercise.  By the way, I wouldn't be strapping this too tightly, and
certainly not circumferentially, even with elasticised bandage.  The
compartment needs all the help it can get at this point.

>  Most likely there is a periostitis.  This is "shin splints" if you must
use this term loosely.  However, one needs to determine that the periostitis
is not in fact a stress fracture.  Bone scan may help.  A stress fracture is
demonstrated by a very focal "hot spot", as opposed to a more diffuse lesion
in periostitis.

>  Then one must ascertain the cause, which is almost always biomechanical
and occasionally overuse and biomechanical.

>  Now and only now is it possible to treat this injury.  There is no
general treatment because it is not a general injury.  Rest is effective -
it is the easiest treatment suggestion of all - if it hurts don't do it.
That doesn't fit my job description I'm afraid, I help people get back to
doing things.  Rest won't fix it either, it will only come back.

>  If anyone wishes to know more about suggested treatment for specific
conditions I would be happy to help.  But please think a little more closely
before applying a general treatment to a blanket term.

>  Regards,
>  Scott.
>  ---
>  Scott Epsley
>  BPhty., MAPA, SPG.
>  PRINCIPAL PHYSIOTHERAPIST
>  Clifford Chambers Sports Medicine
>  Suite 4, 120 Russell Street
>  Toowoomba QLD 4350
>  Australia
>
>  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>

>  On Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:56:50
>   Craig Lawson wrote:
>  >Here's a great, recently published article on Exercise induced leg pain.
>  >will cut and paste it if people would like but it is quite long...
>  >
>  >http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2001/06_01/amendola.htm
>  >
>  >Craig
>  >

BUPA
the personal health service

BUPA House, 15-19 Bloomsbury Way, London, WC1A 2BA

Visit: http://www.bupa.com
Internet communications are not secure and therefore BUPA does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of BUPA.