Luke Dolman writes: Judging by the huge number of 'genuine' finds for sale on Museum Street and the student stories of my sister there are plenty of archaeologists supplementing their meagre dig earnings by hiding and selling bits and pieces found on site, even in these days of 'meticulous' recording and surveying.

    This seems an extremely serious accusation - do you have any hard evidence of where and when these cases occured?  If so, I think that we should be told.  Personally I know of only one case where archaeologists (as opposed to metal detecting 'night hawks', developers etc) removed stratified material from a site and they were swiftly dealt with (and there was no suggestion that this was for financial gain).

Chris Cumberpatch BA PhD
Archaeological Consultant