----- Original Message -----
From: "Martyn Hodson"
> junior charge nurse and junior sister are the terms used in some places
for
> the F grade sisters and charge nurses rather than the G or h grades
> it's like staff nurse for d grades and senior staff nurse for e grades,

But that's partly my point...why not call the F grades simply "charge nurse"
(or "senior staff nurse" as many units do), and the G grades can then be
called "senior charge nurse". In the same way we used to have registrars and
senior registrars i.e. we didn't have junior registrars and registrars.
We've changed the term junior house officer to pre-registration house
officer and we've always resisted the notion of a junior consultant. I must
admit, the term "junior charge nurse" is an interesting example of health
service terminology that doesn't exactly inspire confidence among the
public, nor self-esteem among its staff! My advice to Bromley Hospital would
be to drop it!

Adrian Fogarty