You could have a look at CTANKS.  CTANKS was primarily designed to provide
a low cost, user friendly code and retrieve environment. To use, its just
like a word processor . You add codes in free text or as annotations into
the main body of the text.  It has powerful search and retrieve features in
which you can intermingle different properties into a search and generate
documents.  And, of course, you can also code video or sound without the
need to transcribe.

Regards
Alan CArtwright

At 14:14 28/05/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear CAQDAS users,
>
>Greetings from Lancaster, UK.
>
>I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the
>comparative advantages (and disadvantages) of NVivo
>and ATLAS.ti.
>
>I have conducted 27 in-depth interviews for my PhD
>research which links women's/human rights with
>cultures and religions in Malaysia (fieldsite of my
>research). The interview format was guided by the
>hypothesis that cultures and religions do impact on
>the effective translation of women's/human rights
>within an Asian/Malaysian context (Malaysia is
>multi-religious, multi-cultural and multi-ethnic).
>
>Having browsed through relevant CAQDAS literature
>(from http://caqdas.soc.surrey.ac.uk), I understand
>that the 'theory building' capacity of later softwares
>(in addition to fairly complex 'coding and retrieve'
>functions) would facilitate the 'testing' of this
>hypothesis by modifying or clarifying it further.
>
>My present dilemma of selecting an appropriate
>software persists and is compounded by the fact that
>I'm a latent technophobe (or am perhaps not too
>entirely convinced of the added gains of CAQDAS
>compared to a manual approach of managing and making
>sense of one's data given my relatively small sample
>size). Notwithstanding the hyperlinks/hypertexts
>functions of most softwares, the manual approach
>appeals in part because I am comfortable scrutinising
>my data in its entirety (ie hard copies) and not in
>text segments.
>
>There is technical support for ATLAS.ti at Lancaster
>University (and to a lesser degree, expertise on
>NVivo). Hence the mention of these softwares as
>plausible choices (if at all). I am more inclined
>towards coding networks that are non-hierarchical.
>
>Essentially is it worthwhile to expend that time and
>effort in learning new software functions (and money
>on its purchase)? And is a manual approach (however
>modified) grossly antiquated in the 21st century!
>
>I look forward with much anticipation to your
>feedback.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Sharon A Bong
>Department of Religious Studies
>Lancaster University
>Lancaster LA1 4YG
>United Kingdom

>http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Alan Cartwright PhD
Developer Code-A-Text MultiMedia Products
Hon. Senior Lecturer Kent Institute of Medicine and Health Studies.
Email [log in to unmask]

CISAID: Powerful Multi-Media Software for Analysing Interviews and Dialogues.
CTANKS: Word processing, Recording, Transcription, Searching  and Report
Generation in a single user friendly package.

Information at
Code-A-Text Web Page <http://www.code-a-text.co.uk>