Tom,

Your passing but tantalizing mention of the 'pictures you have at home' might perchance refer to the facsimile edition (200 copies, I understand) of the Vatican manuscript Rossianus 3, with the 9 pre-Angelico illustrations of St. Dominic's gestures of prayer? (I am told that the tradition is close to Florence/Bologna, not south France, as some have thought; Crockett would know). For those of us who are not so lucky, there is www.op.org/domcentral/places/stjude/txtincli.GIF for the nine miniatures on web. Leonard Boyle wrote an essay on "The ways of prayer of St. Dominic" in AFP 64 (1994) 5-17. He cites Schmitt and Trexler on prayer gestures, and also says, 'Whoever the artist was, he belongs to a tradition of "gestures of prayer" that has its best-known exponent in the Parisian theologian Peter the Chanter (d. 1197) in his treatise De poenitentia.'
Luciana Cuppo Csaki
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/9891