Dear Angus

Do we have any sense of the name Polemius in terms of the likely background
of someone bearing that name in Late Antiquity? Is it known how widespread
the name was at that period? Legend assigns it to the father of the supposed
Roman martyrs Chrysanthus and Daria. He was from Alexandra. Is this an
eastern name, then? Is it related to Ptolemy?

Best wishes

Graham

Dr Graham Jones
Lecturer in English Topography