Angus-
I don't know if there was anyone before St. Augustine who taught that the
gods had originally been exceptionally wicked men and women (City of God,
Bk. 7). Caesarius of Arles (d. 543) also did so in two sermons, 192 and 193
(CCSL 104), and Isidore of Seville in Etymologies, Bk. 8. The Council of
Tours (567) pointed out that Janus had been a pagan king, but could not
have been a god. The theme recurred in several sermons up to the 8th century.
Lamias were Greek, but the name was known to Romans. I think Horace
mentions one somewhere as a baby-snatcher - not much like the water-nymphs
of De correctione rusticorum.  Martin of Braga had travelled extensively in
the East before arriving in Galicia, so he may have picked up something there.
Bernadette Filotas

At 07:17 PM 4/5/01 -0400, you wrote:
>>>From sendmail  Thu Apr  5 12:11:29 2001
>>Date:         Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:13:11 +0400
>>Sender: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>>From: Angus Graham <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject:      [M-R] Greek gods = demons
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>>
>>How early, I wonder, is the equation of the Greek pantheon with demons?
>>I am working on Martin of Braga, who in the latter half of the sixth
>>century names individual Greek gods and equates them with demons/[wo]men
>>of evil repute. Why did he not use the Roman pantheon? Was this
>>propaganda? If so, on whose behalf? I am woefully ignorant on this
>>period and find myself baffled. Was this 'simply' the rhetoric of the
>>times? Is there a sub-text that I, in ignorance, am missing? Who else
>>was doing this? Is there a book or so I can read?
>>
>>I have no problem displaying my warts, and so I refer the reader to my
>>own translation of Martin's _De Correctione Rusticorum_ at:
>>
>><http://freespace.virgin.net/angus.graham/Braga.htm>
>>
>>My main question is why GREEK and not Roman? Yes, I am unashamedly
>>fishing. I will also give thanks for anything I may use.
>>
>>Angus Graham, Oman
>>
>>**********************************************************************
>>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>>to: [log in to unmask]
>>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>>to: [log in to unmask]
>>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>>For further information, visit our web site:
>>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html
>>

>Dr. Charles Giguere, eng.
>Professor and Chair, Electrical and Computer Engineering

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]